Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Naming Body Parts

Amelia not only knows her numbers, letters, and many colors, she also knows most of her body parts.

The other day my mother-in-law asks me, "Did you teach her the word boob?" And I was like, "Um, no, I don't think so," as my mind started thinking of how and when I would have used that word. Since nothing immediately sprang to mind, I thought, hmm, let's ask Amelia! So I touched her chest and said, "Amelia, what is that?" And she gave me a blank stare. Same thing when I touched mine. Meanwhile, my mind is still going, trying to come up with something, and I say, "Well, she knows belly button and tummy ... belly is kind of close to boob maybe?" And I explained that even when I was breastfeeding I only said "milk" as in "Amelia, do you want some milk?" (which got me in trouble in the grocery store once when I commented aloud that we needed some milk and she immediately looked at my chest. uh oh.)

It's not that we've purposely avoided naming that body part for her, it just hasn't happened yet. After the usual eyes, ears, nose and mouth, we've had more fun with chin, cheeks and even wrists (which she calls sh-thsh). So I let it go for the time being and five minutes later it dawned on me.

About ten days ago or so, she scratched herself during the night. Perhaps it was a bug bite, I don't know, but she went to bed without it and woke up with it and it's taking its sweet time to heal. You may have noticed it in the Happy Birthday Grandma photo below.

Amelia was telling her Nana that she has a boo boo on her chest.

1 Comments:

Blogger ccw said...

Just wait until she starts singing songs about boobies. This is NSBH's new favorite activity.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home