Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Amelia hints about a sister

Sort of. And then I figured it out.

On Sunday afternoon Roxana was here with her girls and told Amelia that Livia had sorted all her toys and gave Anda many of them. She told Amelia how happy Livia was with her clean room and how easy it will be to keep it neat.

That evening as Amelia was getting ready for bed she said, "Maybe when I'm older and like sharing with another girl, I can have a sister." Since Amelia isn't the world's greatest about sharing unless it's her idea, I didn't think I had to worry about her comment, plus it's the first time she's ever mentioned a sibling.

Then I figured it out ... because I thought it was curious she said sister rather than sister or brother. Amelia's style is to be pretty inclusive when there are options. The following day it dawned on me that she was processing what Roxana had said and that's why she said sister - because Livia has a sister.

We often go through Amelia's toys, books and clothes together and weed out ones for other little boys and girls. I probably involve her in this too much because she will often come to me out of the blue with an item and announce that she really likes it and can she keep it, to which I always says yes. So she doesn't have a problem with passing things along, but I think the idea that a younger sibling would be eager to inherit her possessions may have unsettled her a little!

And it's been almost a week and no more mention of a sister. Phew!

On another note, Amelia seems to be using the word 'rather' in place of 'either' as well as 'prefer'. As in, "Would you rather the blue one or the pink one?" Or, "Your choices are the cat rather the dog." It's pretty funny. I've also been correcting her double negatives and incorrect verb usage. I've tried explaining it to her as well as just correcting her. She stumbles a little, but at least she is thinking about what she is saying. I don't want to take away her confidence so I don't correct her when she hesitates and still gets it wrong.

She is doing really well with the double negatives, but now she sometimes sounds a little uppity. She, not surprisingly, is going the slightly harder route and instead of dropping the second negative, she drops the first. She was saying, "I don't want no cookies," and now says, "I want no cookies." This throws other adults because they think there was an amount in there and then ask her again how many she wants!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home