Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Easter eggs!

Amelia and I were playing Silly Switch today and she looked so grown up to me, so I got my camera out. She even smiled for me, but I also like this photo even though she is talking to me as she shakes the die in her hand.

She asked me to play with her and I told her I needed to unload the dishwasher first and asked if she wanted to help. She said, "No." So I went about my business. Two minutes later she asked how much longer until I could play and I told her I was still working on the dishwasher but I could play with her sooner if she helped me, so she did. She put away the silverware (her normal chore). When she first started doing that, she thought the tissue paper I used to line the bottom of each section was a blanket for the silverware and she would use it as such to put them to bed. The tissue paper has disintegrated from so much use so today I gave her some paper towel pieces to use and this is what the drawer looked like when I checked on her progress. Too cute! (Although Daddy wasn't sure what to make of it when he came home from work and was getting silverware for dinner. He was like, "Have you seen the silverware drawer?") Today for the first time the silverware had genders. I don't remember all of them, but the small forks were little girls. She didn't need any prodding today and even put the tray back in the dishwasher and put the door up. I guess she really wanted to get to that game!

We invited Livia and Anda over to color Easter eggs tonight. I put Amelia in an old white shirt and shorts in case the dye got everywhere. It was fun to see her in summer clothes. The girls had a lot of fun. I was so concerned about Amelia cracking eggs and then I went and cracked one as I was giving it to Anda. The girls were so curious about eating an egg so I went ahead and showed them how to peel it and they enjoyed sharing it. They thought it was really neat that some of the blue had gotten on the egg. In this picture Amelia is complaining that she needs a fork - even though there is one right in front of her. She is so sensitive to being slighted when I pay attention to Livia or Anda. I know it's natural, but I wish she felt more secure about my attention. (And besides, she uses her fingers much of the time to eat, despite my constant reminders that eating with utensils is more polite.)

This was the first year that Ameila has dyed eggs. Things have changed so much since I was a kid. The kits came with collapsable cups for the liquids and I had glass bowls all ready to go. (Livia's mom looked at the bowls and said, "What are those for?" I am just so old fashioned, don't you know.) No more wire egg holders or white crayons and rub-off decals that you put on before you dyed the eggs. It's all easy stickers now. I think it takes some of the creativity out of it, but I guess as long as the kids have fun, they don't notice the difference, although it may make it less interesting for older children. Amelia wasn't as enamored with making eggs more than one color, either. I always enjoyed dipping eggs in halfway in two different colors which made the ring in the middle a third color. But she is only 4 and this was her first time, so I am sure she will get more creative later.

As a surprise, Livia's mom brought some Easter baskets for the girls and they wanted to use the sidewalk chalk so we went out and the girls drew with the chalk and then hugged good-bye. It will be nice when they can play outside all the time.


[pictures dated 3/30/10]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home