Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Coral Snake is Pretty, Mommy

Amelia still loves her little toy snakes and has taken a particular liking to her coral snake. She will notice if it’s not in with the others and go looking for it. This morning I was working on the laptop on the edge of the bed and she tapped me on the arm and said “The coral snake is pretty, Mommy.” And I looked down and saw this.

Today was a pretty big day. We had her 3-year check-up and as usual it took 90 minutes from the time we walked in the door. Ugh. I’ve never gotten out of that place in less than two hours. For the record, Amelia is 37 inches tall and weighs 33 pounds.

The nurse was great with her. Amelia had her blood pressure taken for the first time with a cuff. It was so small and cute, I wish I had brought a camera! The nurse asked questions and Amelia surprised me by answering. (She usually acts a little shy with someone she doesn’t know.) She told the nurse she was 3 years old, her name, and that she was a girl. Amelia even had an eye test! Then she put us in a room for over 30 minutes and Amelia was getting very antsy. She had tired of climbing on and off the exam table and reading what few children’s books were in there. The doctor came in and we had only chatted a few minutes when Amelia got really, really restless. Without consciously meaning to be snide I said, “Amelia please be quiet for a few minutes. I know we’ve been in here a long time but Mommy has to talk to the doctor.” So after the lecture about how Amelia needs to drink more milk the doctor then finds out that Amelia is not completely potty trained. She was aghast and said, “Most girls are trained long before 3.” Direct quote. She didn’t ask me what methods I had tried or how long I had been trying, just something along the lines of how I need to make sure she got it. So then I risked asking the one question I came in with which was whether I should be concerned that Amelia drools so much. This is how that went.
Doctor: “The dentist can answer that one. What? You haven’t taken her to a dentist yet?”
Mommy: “Look, I can’t even get her to sit still to get her picture done.”
Doctor: “Well, I’ll make this referral. Do you want us to make the appointment for you?”
Mommy: “No, I think I can handle that one, thanks.”

At least there were no shots. Amelia was still glad to see her go. Before the doctor was even out the door, she enthusiastically and loudly said, "Bye Doctor Sawyer!" (which is actually our pastor's name, not her doctor's name).

We also went to the animal shelter today and dropped off the donations from people who came to Amelia's birthday party. They only had 3 cats and one kitten there, but lots of dogs and puppies. It was loud but Amelia didn't mind.

When we got home she really wanted to play outside so we drew in the driveway with sidewalk chalk and she played with her toy lawn mower. We also blew bubbles which she loves to chase. After a quick lunch it was off to pre-school.

You would think with all that activity that she would have taken a nap after pre-school. You would be wrong. I certainly was.

Daddy's brass band had a spaghetti social tonight and Amelia had a blast eating spaghetti and cheesecake and then running all over the stage. She is such a ham when she wants to be. She really hit it off with Elizabeth, a friend's daughter, and fell asleep almost immediately after getting in the car.

Sleep sounds pretty good to me, too, come to think of it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Midlife Mommy said...

Wow, what a snarky doctor! FWIW, my daughter just turned four, and I don't think she was potty trained until she was three and a half. We waited until she was ready. Your daughter will be ready when it's her time.

My daughter still wears a pullup at night, which has been dry for the last several months when she wakes up. But, we plan on keeping her in the pullup for awhile, because I'm not quite sure she would wake up to go if she needed to.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Does Amelia's snake thing creep you out or are you okay with it? I'm fine with snakes myself, but my grandma has a terrible fear of them. She'd be hysterical if she found tiny coral snakes lying around the house!

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your doctor's appt. with Amelia. That sounds REALLY frustrating! In my opinion, your pediatrician should know better than to say something so silly about potty training. Each kid goes at her own pace; as long as Amelia's not having a terrible time with it, what's the problem? Gah.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home