Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Choking

Amelia was eating some nectarine tonight and I thought she started choking. She has an excellent gag reflect so most of the time I just wait it out. From the moment I gave her the nectarine I began doubting whether I should because it was so hard, so when she started to choke, my momma instinct went off and I grabbed her out of her chair and whacked her on the back three times. No, I've never taken any classes on this sort of thing, but it seemed kind of instinctual.

Apparently, it wasn't a great idea - I scared her. She started crying, really crying, and she hardly ever cries. So while I was instantly relieved that she obviously wasn't choking, I started worrying she would inhale what was still in her mouth since she was crying so hard. I also felt really bad for scaring her and kept explaining that I was afraid she was choking, that maybe the nectarine had gotten stuck in her throat and I was just trying to help. She seemed to understand but was still upset. Poor girl.

After a few minutes, a couple of songs and lots of hugs she was her old self.

This motherhood stuff is hard.

1 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Oh, I can just see the 2 of you! Poor Amelia, but poor you as well. In this case, I think all's well that ends well.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home