Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Egg Cracker

I know that in America and many other industrialized countries that many children don't do much other than play and be entertained. Sometimes that is to their detriment and there are many children in the world Amelia's age who are helping to raise their younger siblings, doing household chores because they have to, not because it's something good for them to do, etc. I try to think of age appropriate things for Amelia to do but I am continually amazed at the things that she is capable of if I let her lead. Egg cracking is today's example.

Amelia used to love eating eggs - scrambled, boiled, it didn't matter. Lately she has lost interest in eggs and they are a good source of protein so I wish she still liked them as much as she did. (I've even tried ketchup, but it hasn't helped. Daddy I know you're retching as you read this.)

Yesterday morning I asked Amelia if she wanted eggs for breakfast and she said no. I did ... so I got out the eggs, milk and a bowl. She was fascinated with the eggs on the counter and wanted to help. So I held one in her hand and showed her how to crack it on the edge of the bowl and then let her put her fingers on the broken edges and pull. She was delighted. So we did it again and then she helped me beat them with a little milk. Then we poured them together into the pan. Then we washed hands. A few minutes later she was entirely intereseted in eating eggs! I think it made a big difference that she helped to make them. It was really fun and I am looking forward to having more help in the kitchen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home