Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Hair washing

Does anyone have any tips on washing a toddler's hair? Amelia HATES it. She stands up in the tub and pleads, "Get out get out get out get out" and my heart breaks that I can't respond since she's all wet and sudsy. Last night she tried to climb out during the hairwashing fiasco and fell, which only made it worse. I hurried to rinse her hair and got her out and we continued with our routine of rocking and then yogurt, bedtime story and bed.

Then this morning - she woke up with a really ugly bruise on her chin. it's about the size of my entire fingertip and maroon with a purple edge. It wasn't there last night before she went to bed, and she was up for at least 45 minutes after her bath. I figured that since it took all night for it to appear it might help to put some ice on it so I gave her the Tigger gel pack she likes so much. Five minutes later I realize there's orange gel everywhere. It had a split seam, probably from the time a couple of weeks ago it fell off the freezer drawer. So that just added to the great hair washing fiasco.

I only wash her hair about once a week because she hates it so much. I usually try to just use a wet washcloth but of course some water always trickles to the front of her face. Does anyone have any suggestions for washing a toddler's hair without inducing terror? If you have trouble leaving a comment, please email me at mommy_of_amelia at yahoo.com. Thanks.

4 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

i have nothing to offer other than the fact that i used to scream like a banshee when it came to hair washing time until i was about 6. hope it's an easier road for you. :)

mom used to sing me silly songs while torturing me with shampoo.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Chastity said...

Lila hates having her hair washed as well. I just do it as fast as I possibly can. I wish I could get away with once a week, but she always seems to get oatmeal or something disgusting in it.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

I have a couple of ideas, but do take them with a grain of salt!

1. I've seen visors and pouring cups with soft edges to help keep water out of kids' eyes during bathtime, so those might be helpful if it's the water in the face that she doesn't like.

2. If you think you could get away with distraction, you could also try hanging different pictures over the tub and asking her "hey, what picture is up there tonight?" Again, this might help keep the water out of her eyes, but she might be too savvy for that trick.

3. If it's more that she dislikes the hairwashing experience altogether, perhaps you could have her wash your hair every now and then. The two of you could also wash baby dolls and their hair, too. It might help her get used to the whole concept of washing hair, though it could take a little time.

4. One last thing--she might think she looks cool with soapy hair, so you might give her a mirror during bathtime so she can see how neat she looks with white suds on her head.

I hope that you'll find something that works for both of you--sad bathtimes are no fun at all! I'm so sorry to hear that Amelia fell down, too; I hope her little chin well be feeling better soon. Best wishes to both of you!

1:33 PM  
Blogger ccw said...

NSBH hates the hair washing still. We get her to look up at the ceiling to ensure as little water and/or shampoo can touch her face and then keep a towel close by so she can dry her face immediately.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home