Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Hi Lili, Hi Lo

One of the numerous songs that Amelia requests is "Tomorrow" from Annie. In my 6 things meme, did I fail to mention that my 6th grade nickname was Annie, by the way? Hated it. Anyway ... Daddy was flipping channels the other day and hit on the movie Annie right at the "Tomorrow" song. I was feeding her and she stared at the TV and was like, "Wow! That's a real song!" (Okay, so that's how her daddy and I interpreted the look.)

The other day I sang her "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music and as soon as I got done she said, "I like that song!" It totally cracked me up.

So tonight I went on YouTube and found another song, the one I sing to her anytime she has a boo-boo. She either calls it the "sad song, please" or "the Lili song". It's actually a song called "Hi-Lili, Hi-Lo" and my mother would sometimes sing it to me at bedtime when I was little. It was something I didn't have to share with my brother and so I have always thought of it as a special song.

I clicked on the Leslie Caron version from the movie Lili and Amelia enjoyed watching the puppet show and hearing the song. It always bothered me that the version in Lili wasn't quite what my mother sang; it is more upbeat and is missing a few lyrics. I was curious about the other versions on YouTube and clicked on one featuring Amalia Rodrigues. Not only is it the European version of Amelia's name, it IS the version my mother sang! Unfortunately I cannot find any reference to Amalia singing it in a movie, so perhaps the YouTube video was just a performance at a dinner club. I did look her up on wikipedia and she was a pretty interesting lady.

When I clicked on the Everly Brothers' version, my husband declared, "Ah! That means it was a true hit!" I love his sense of humor.

And tell me she is not just adorable in ponytails? (Pick me a good one, Amelia!) She took her nap at 4 p.m. today, slept until I woke her about 5:30 p.m., and was in bed at 8:30 p.m., just 30 minutes past her normal bedtime. I say we're easing into the Daylight Savings Time fairly decently.

[picture dated 3/10/08]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home