Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

More Vocabulary

For a while now Amelia will demand, "Down! Play!" whenever she is picked up. In fact, I wrote this in as an example of her phrases on her 2-year check-up development sheet. It is a little annoying because she will run up to one of us to get hugged and noticed, but she doesn’t want to be picked up and if you do pick her up, which is kind of a natural instinct for us, she demands, "Down! Play!"

Often times I will tell her she can get down and play in a second when I am cleaning her up after eating or getting her out of her carseat. She has now added this to her demand: "Down! Play in second!" She still uses a very hard "k" so she gets a little caught in the word 'second', which is cute to hear.

We've been teaching her for a while that certain things belong to Mommy or Daddy and she will point and say "Daddy's juice" rather than demand it. Other times she just points to something and says, "Mama's" as if to acknowledge that she understands it is mine. She especially loves to say, "Daddy's Jeep!" as she runs up to it and hugs the door that leads to her carseat. Recently she started pointing to my laptop and saying, "Mama's ‘puter." I love watching her make connections.

Amelia apparently loves the word grasshopper. I am assuming she has this love for the word because she uses it completely out of context and says it so clearly. She learned the word in her 10 Little Ladybugs book. She'll say bug rather than ladybug, but she says grasshopper clear as a bell. Later in the day she'll be doing something random and declare "Grasshopper!" Or we'll be driving in the car and she says, "Grasshopper!" We think it's cute and laugh, so now she laughs whenever she says it.

She also likes to announce whenever something falls down. However, I am now trying to explain to her the distinction between something actually falling down, being dropped or *gasp* outright thrown down. Yep, when she threw the book down last night and innocently said, "Book fall down," I corrected her and said, "No, you threw the book down and we don't throw books." She gave me her puppy dog eyes expression and picked it back up, but did not throw it again. Good girl. We'll see how long that lasts, huh?

(apparently not long because in the time it took me to proofread this, she started tossing lego blocks and saying "throw things". hmmmmm)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home