Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

8th Tooth!

The weekend after Thanksgiving her eighth tooth appeared! She'd been having a few nights of being up every couple of hours (oh, the fun!) and a little drooling during the day, but nothing like when tooth #7 was coming in and she drooled so much she wound up with thrush. She was putting a lot of things in her mouth again and then lo and behold the new tooth came through. So she now has four up and four down. More importantly, she's back to sleeping through the night. Yippee!

She also has had a growth spurt which makes dressing her a little more time consuming since all of a sudden some things don't fit anymore. I noticed that her sleeper was a bit snug one night but thought, hmmm, we'll get one more night's use out of it before we wash it and throw it in the outgrown pile. But that happened to be one of the restless nights and she peed through her sleeper. I think the only reason it happened was, because of its snugness, in the process of dressing her for bed her diaper shifted. So it was the middle of the night and her sleeper and her sheets and her blankets were all wet, but her diaper wasn't! So much for being lazy and trying to get an extra night out of that sleeper. So yes, I was tired and a little frustrated at myself while I started to strip the baby girl and as she is standing and facing me, she points to my pajama top and says something that sounds very close to "kitty cat". I stopped and thought, nah, there's no way. So I pointed to the cat and said, "Yes, kitty cat!" And she repeated it! I said "cat?" and she said pointed and said "Dat!" It was just so sweet that I didn't care that it was 3 am and I hadn't gotten any real sleep and that I still had to deal with wrestling with the crib mattress to change the sheet. (Our mattress is really heavy and like most is really flush to the crib rails and so with the crib tent to keep out the cats and the aquarium crib toy to soothe the baby to sleep, it's almost impossible to get the fitted sheet on properly, especially at 3 am with a fussy baby.)

Anyway, the point is, she is mostly babbling these days and so anytime there is some kind of recognition or connection verbally, I just melt. What mom doesn't?

Now that the tooth has broken through the gums she plays with it with her tongue but her mouth is closed. Since it's her bottom left tooth, it makes it look like she is chewing tobacco! Way to fit in with the locals, Amelia!

And I don't know if this is related to teething or just her growing awareness of things, but if I put a sweater or shirt on her that has buttons down the front, she immediately puts them in her mouth and starts chewing on them. So of course I'm terrified one will pop off and she'll swallow it. And the drool factory she is, by the time I can try to cover the top buttons with a bib, she has absolutely soaked the front of her top. Luckily she doesn't have many things that are button front since apparently they're going to be off limits for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home