Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Doctor Visit

Amelia was complaining this morning that her cheek hurt. At first I just thought maybe she brushed it up against something. When she complained again just two minutes later and accompanied it with a moan, I asked her if her ear hurt and she said it did. She moaned a few more times while she was laying down so I gave her some Children's Motrin and 10 minutes later she was up and bouncing around like her usual self.

I decided to go ahead and take her to the doctor because if she had an ear infection that was bad enough for her to complain about, that it shouldn't be ignored. (Plus I have Nana's 4WD so I can get out!) I made her an appointment with her 'new' doctor (the one we don't have to spend two hours waiting for). While we're in the waiting room Amelia said, "I hope when they come to call my name they don't call me Amelia." I asked her why not and she said she wanted them to call her Spunky since she is a cat. When the nurse came, Amelia didn't say anything about wanting to be called Spunky but she asked her what her name was (Kim) and then when we got to the room she climbed onto the table herself (sniff, sniff, where did my baby go?). Amelia then proceeded to tell the nurse she was a cat, so Kim asked her if she could purr, which she did. (She thankfully did not hiss and spit, which she likes to do with Daddy.)

When Dr. Hall came in she noticed Amelia was her usual energetic self and I told her she had no problems with appetite or diarrhea, and her lungs sounded good. She was impressed by how well Amelia was breathing deeply for her. I guess maybe other children aren't as compliant. Dr. Hall asked Amelia which ear hurt and Amelia told her the right ear and pointed to it. Dr. Hall asked her what her other ear was and Amelia said her left. (I guess the doctor was taking the opportunity to gauge development?) When Dr. Hall touched Amelia's leg and asked her if it was her left or right leg Amelia said, "No, that's my left back paw." Dr. Hall had to step back out of Amelia's line of sight to silently laugh.

So Amelia's ear is red but because she isn't having any other symptoms, Dr. Hall recommended waiting until Friday to see if she was still complaining about her ear to fill the antibiotic prescription since antiobiotics can sometimes bring on other problems. (her words, not mine)

** edited Thursday night to add: took soup to Dodah who is sick. She saw Dr. Hall today and mentioned Amelia because she knew I had taken her there. Dr. Hall said, ooh, that is one precocious child! (And Amelia hasn't had any other issues with her ear, so we're good to go with her.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home