Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

4 years old

It seems impossible that Amelia is 4 years old. To me, that's the age of a little girl ... not a baby girl! I might have to admit she is growing up!

I volunteered at preschool this morning and we had a nice Dora themed birthday party at snack time. I stopped at the grocery store on the way to preschool to buy the freshest cupcakes available. I couldn't find the small 2-bite cupcakes (didn't want to overload the youngsters, especially since we had goldfish and apples, too) and when I asked the bakery worker replied that they were a seasonal item. Huh?!?! What is seasonal about little cupcakes? So I had to buy the larger ones with the obnoxious food coloring in the icing, much to Amelia's delight.

The little kids all loved having a Dora party hat and later in the morning they would one by one decide to put it in their take-home cubby. SO cute! Amelia had a special green crown she wore and all the kids made her a card. When we read them at home later she was especially interested in the last one we looked at. She asked a bit enthusiastically, "Is that one from Joey?" When I told her it was she asked, "Can I hug him tomorrow?" Hmmmm. I told her she had to ask first and if he said no, that she could not.

Amelia's preschool this year is SO much better. I can't believe the change in her. There's just a little less structure and I think that helps. There was so much structure last year it was almost rigid. Plus last year her teacher's background was in social work and this year her teacher is a childhood educator (or whatever it's called these days). HUGE difference in the approach to the classroom and to Amelia.

Back to Amelia's birthday ... in the evening we had some leftover cake and we gave her the two presents from us. (At her party, it was presents from everyone else.) She insisted on opening mine first (since I'm #2 after all) and then Daddy's. I gave her a floor puzzle that is a map of the United States. It's a little beyond her capabilities, but I thought it would be excellent to have on hand over the next year. When we traveled to Colorado this summer I took the opportunity to show her on a map where we live, wher Grandma lives, where we flew from (a different state than where we live) and where we were visiting. She seemed really interested. Daddy gave her a Sandra Boynton book and CD, Philadelphia Chickens, which was an immediate hit, so good thing she opened mine first!

[picture dated 9/22/09]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home