Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

She's NOT Allergic to Bee Stings

Leaving for the church picnic this afternoon, Amelia climbed into her car seat, leaned over the side and started an ear piercing scream. I thought maybe she pinched her finger on something and I leaned over and there was a bee! I grabbed her out of the car, tried to be silly and upbeat while she's still screaming and said, "There's a bee in the car, what a nasty, nasty bee." We went upstairs and washed off her hand and she was still crying and I asked her where it hurt because I still didn't see a mark or anything. It was on the very tip of her middle finger - like when you get pricked at the doctor's office or blood drive - OUCH! Up until then I was calm, but suddenly I found myself trying not to panic while I ran through what I could remember of 'bee sting first aid' in my head and was looking for swelling, etc. So we did peroxide and a band-aid (Handy Manny!), and as soon as the band-aid was on the tears stopped. I grabbed a single serve of Benadryl that I had (thanks Jeannine!) and we headed to the park for the picnic. I asked a nurse that goes to church with us about the sting and she said it looked like Amelia was having no reaction and not to give her the Benadryl since it would only make her groggy.

Hopefully Amelia will be wary/respectful but not terrified of bees. So far she's not truly afraid of anything and I'd like to keep it that way. And I guess it's good to know she is not allergic to bee stings .. it will make me rest easier in the future when she has recess, field trips, Girl Scout camp, etc. and could be bit when I'm not there.

Still, this mom stuff is tough!

And Amelia did have a blast at the park again ... we had perfect weather for it. I changed her to play clothes but only after she dropped home-made blueberry perserves on her pretty dress (the one she wore at her dance recital). I cannot tout the wonders of Oxi-clean enough now, let me say. You would NEVER know there had been a HUGE blueberry stain on the skirt. If only it would do that for permanent ink ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home