Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Friday, July 25, 2008

More Boo-Boos

Amelia has some scrapes and bruises from her fall down the ladder the other night. The bruises seem to multiply daily - I guess they take a while to appear sometimes and her little arms look like she's been abused.

Tonight after pre-bed oatmeal (her request), I went to get some ointment and a clean band-aid for her chin. I was three steps away when her, together with the chair she was in, went backwards to the floor. I heard the thud and knew she had stood up and pushed away as soon as I turned my back.

This is what I find so tiring about motherhood - reacting to one mess/injury/disaster while another one happens. I can't keep up. And I feel so guilty. There I was leaving her to get stuff to address one boo-boo that happened right in front of my eyes, only to listen to another boo-boo happen just feet from me.

I ran to her, scooped her up and we rocked. She was crying pretty hard and didn't sing any of the words with me. (I sing her a song and try to encourage her to say the last word of various lines.) But when I stopped rocking to check on her she said, "Rock more!" And then she said, "That's why we don't stand on chairs."

I didn't feel any lumps rise up on her head (I was holding her Tigger gelpack against the back of her head while we rocked) and she seemed fine otherwise. I think since the chair fell with her, that she may not have landed on her head at all, that some other body part took the brunt of the fall. (When I saw her she was laying on top of the chair on the kitchen floor.) I think she was just scared, and then when I was rocking her she was just tired. I am, too.

Daddy read her a story and she was her normal self, and we did the rest of our night-time routine like normal, so I think she's okay. I am glad she seems pretty resilient and extremely grateful that she is okay after all these types of incidents, but I wish I didn't have so many demonstrations, especially so close together.

3 Comments:

Blogger abogada said...

My daughter's legs look like you describe. And, she's just started skinning her knees. Fun all around.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Chastity said...

I know what you mean. Lila nearly always has two scraped knees, several bruises, and right now she even has a bruise on her forehead. It is scary and quite tiring.

I'm just glad to hear Amelia

12:58 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

I'm glad that Amelia's okay! We've been having our fair share of boo-boos around here, too. It happens just like what you've described--I turn my back for a second to get something for her or to help her in some way and presto! she's standing on the kitchen table. My nerves are getting a real workout. So is Hurty Hippo, our cold compress.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home