Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

2 years, 10 months

Again, I can't believe it. In just two months she will be three years old. Wow.

We went to the mall today because my sister-in-law gave me her Gymboree gym bucks. We bought Amelia this dress for $8.50. I couldn't resist it - so cute!

Tonight she fell down the ladder going to Livia's slide. They are wooden and she was facing us, talking about needing a Dora band-aid on her leg for some imaginary boo-boo. I think she forgot where she was, took a small step forward and then went head down. I was sitting about 2 feet from her and jumped up. I think I helped soften her landing, but it scared me to death. She landed on her shoulder with her head cocked kind of funny. If it had been a direct impact, who knows what kind of injuries she would have sustained. I know I should be grateful that she only has some scrapes on her arms and chest from rubbing against the wood, but I can't help but think about the 'could have been worse' scenarios, especially after an 8 year-old girl in our community died last week after falling from a tree.

It is unbelievable how much I love this little girl and want to protect her. It is equally phenomenal how much joy I get from watching her discover new things, hearing her express herself in new ways almost every day, and noticing how much I mean to her. During a family walk or outing when Daddy pushes the stroller or shopping cart, she wants me to hold her hand. In the drug store today I was three feet from her and she said, "Mommy's too far away!"

In some ways it seems like she's been a little person for so long now - even 2 years ago when she was just 10 months old she already had her personality and was pretty darn mobile - and in other ways it seems like she's still so new. I guess the newness is because every day is still full of new things for her and for me. But I can do without her falling down stairs.

[picture dated 7/22/08]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home