Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

And the Potty Training continues

Friday morning, after Amelia used the potty right after waking up she declared (and I mean declared!) that she wanted panties. This was after three days of No More Diapers for Ducky. I was a little hesitant but she was so insistent, so I went and got her little training panties. We brushed our teeth and got on with our morning. I told her (like usual) that she had to tell me when she had to go. I can't remember now if she told me or if I had her sit, but she used the potty again. Then we went and got the oil changed in my car - and she left the house wearing her panties. At one point I thought she might have to go and we went to the bathroom at the gas station, but she didn't go. As soon as we got home, she went! She did have an accident a little later, but then I also had to go to work and her sitter and daddy aren't as in tune with her so it was back to Pull-ups.

We had some similar situations over the weekend, but I participated in the yard sale Saturday morning and that threw things off, too. Yesterday and today we are about where we were - sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't and too many accidents in the panties. There are a few more instances of her telling me she needs to go, which is good, but we're definitely not ready for panties all day yet. I also need to be more consistent with the stickers because they do make a difference for her. I just have to say the word sticker and her little butt hits the potty.

And the naps. She isn't falling asleep until 4:30 and then she is groggy and cranky when I wake her up an hour later. (She usually naps for 2 hours.) And then it takes her 40 minutes to fall asleep at night, when she normally falls asleep right away. I'm not sure what to do. I've thought about skipping naps and putting her to bed earlier, but no matter how hard I try (what with the longer days and all) it's 8 pm before I know it.

But the bright spot? Summertime has finally arrived. Yep, no spring. We went from 40 degrees Friday morning to 80 degrees Saturday afternoon. And it's been close to or in the 80's ever since. Yay for sundresses!

2 Comments:

Blogger Chastity said...

I've determined potty training is pretty hard. Lila is so far from being trained that I don't even like to think about it. I really wanted her to be trained by the time the babies are born.

Could Amelia take an earlier nap? I'm sure there's a reason I'm not aware of that explains why you're putting her down at 4:30. Lila usually takes her nap somewhere between 12:30 and 2:00. She's usually down for an hour and a half to two hours. She doesn't go to bed at night until 9, but she sleeps until around 8-9 AM, which would probably not work with most people's work schedules.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Amelia's Mom aka Jennie said...

I didn't clarify that I put Amelia down around 2, or sometimes 2:30, but like I said, she isn't falling asleep until 4:30. I've experimented a little with 3 and even 3:15, and it's the same - she falls asleep around 4:30 p.m. She's in there playing and chatting and then suddenly there's silence. (Her naps have gradually gotten later - a year ago she was going down for a nap between 12:30 and 1 p.m.)

I've been doing some reading and I think it was Dr. Sears that said that toddlers gradually get tired later and later in the day and around this age some do stop napping. I'm not ready to give up, though - we'll keep trying for a while.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home