Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Posey Song

I sang "Ring around the Rosey" to Amelia for the first time yesterday. By the end of the day she had requested the "Posey Song!" a zillion times ... but little did I know, until about 7:30 last night, that it was not just because she liked it, it was because she was learning it. Yep, she started singing along with me! It was so cool.

There is a train on my kitchen table. You see, she adores this train that Aunt Amy sent for Christmas. It's actually a hand-me-down from cousin Jack, and like everything else Amy has passed along, it quickly became a favorite. (And hey, as long as something is clean, working and my daughter enjoys it, who cares if other children used it before her, right?)

So how did the train get onto the table you ask? Well ... we have a bad habit of reading to Amelia while she eats to encourage her to eat more. This is leftover from her slow weight gain days and we've actually had really great quality time together singing, reading, talking, etc. in the high chair, so for the most part I really don't mind, even if there had been a strict 'no toys at the table' rule when I was growing up. (How's that for a run-on sentence? Guess who isn't an English teacher.)

Okay, so the train on the table ... and the eating ... there is a connection. When a book is finished, sometimes for the first or second time, depending on the book, Amelia will ask for another book. I will often say, "Okay, take a bite and I will go get one." Or if something is dropped I'll say, "Okay, take a bite and I'll get it." So tonight, she fed herself all her oranges and grapes. As she began eating her rice/meat/broccoli mixture she says, "Take a bite, red car." Translation: I take a bit of food and you go get the red car from my LeapFrog train. Of course, I complied, since I am one well-trained mommy (LOL). So this lasted all the way through the five cars plus engine. She sure loves that train.

By the way, have you noticed how often I use the word actually? I haven't, but Amelia has, and she's begun saying it. The funny thing is that she has a cousin Ashley, so sometimes I'm not sure if she's talking about Ashley or saying actually.

We definitely have some confusion on hair bows. She did really well for a while identifying bows in the hair of characters in her books. Now she thinks they're butterflies. We were reading her Little Pigs book the other night and she kept saying the girl pigs had butterflies in their hair and I tried telling her they were hair bows, but she looked at me like, "How dense are you? They are butterflies!" And then she simply pointed and stated, in no uncertain terms, "Butterfly!" I haven't had time to pull out a hairbow and get her butterfly-on-a-stick-pretend-it's-a-puppet craft thing from Kindermusik and try to explain in more detail that there is a difference. But I will. Soon.

And gorillas are bears. Did you know that? I've given up on that one for now. We'll worry about it after a trip to the zoo in the Spring.

[picture dated 1/16/08]

1 Comments:

Blogger -LGirl- said...

Oh the things we will do to get them to eat! The things I thought I'd never have to do....LOL

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home