Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Up goes the Christmas Tree

We bought our tree last night and put it up. At the tree lot, Amelia was much more interested in the fence than she was in the trees. Hmmm, maybe we should get one for the backyard? (just kidding)

Meg, Jim & Liza came over with medicine for Daddy and some cookies (YUM) and stayed for a little while. Liza put most of the ornaments on the tree, despite interference from Amelia, and she did a nice job. I wasn't able to take many pictures, but it was cute seeing the two of them working on the tree - Liza putting them on, Amelia taking them off (under the guise of 'looking at them'). Liza was incredibly patient with her which was also nice to see.

While I was wrestling with lights, Amelia (unknowingly) helped by pulling on the strand for me as I was untangling them. Then she walked around and lifted up the back of my shirt, saw my moles and started pointing to my "polka dots!" It was pretty funny and since it kept her out of my way, I let her do it for a few minutes.

In this picture she is engaged in earnest conversation with her Aunt Meg. She recently has been ducking her head and nodding sometimes when she talks. I think she is mimicking me from the times when I'm trying to decipher her longer sentences.

Jim kept suggesting I just go to the local discount store and buy new lights rather than continue messing with mine. That was his version of helping. At one point I did get a little frustrated since Daddy was supposed to be amusing Amelia (away from me) but she was totally in my space causing confusion and delay (have I watched too much Thomas the Tank Engine?), and I called (hissed) over to Daddy in the I'm-really-annoyed voice with just one word ... I meant to call him by name, but instead called him my brother's name. This is something I do when I am truly, genuinely annoyed. It just comes from the core of my unconscious being. There are neurons that are connected to each other, something like "Very Annoyed Feeling", therefore verbal output = brother's name. It's something that hasn't happened in a long time. I think it's funny, actually. He doesn't.

After declaring that Amelia has too many toys, Liza decided Amelia's sit-n-spin is the best toy Amelia has. And the tree got done, much to Amelia's delight since she has been noticing each "Christmas tree!" we have seen this past week. This is definitely the year for absolutely no breakable ornaments. (Last year we got away with putting breakable ones up out of reach.)

This morning after pointing out (touching) and naming one of each of the colored lights, Amelia has enjoyed inspecting the ornaments, which usually fall off under "inspection". She carefully puts them back on. Occasionally, she can't get it to stay and she calls to me, "Help, Mommy!" with an expectant expression on her face. And I love it.

[pictures dated 12/10/07]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home