Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Friday, November 23, 2007

Overprotective Mothering

On our way home we decided to stop at one of those steakhouses with the big bucket of peanuts on the table. After placing our diet coke order and checking out the menu, I realized I didn't have Amelia's apple or her crayons, so I ran back out to the jeep to get them. When I got back, she was delighted to have her crayons to play with and we had some apple. Then she starts reaching towards the other end of the table. She doesn't ask for anything or name anything that she sees, and it seems like she wants something but I can't figure it out.* As I'm saying, "I guess we could give her one of those peanuts to play with," our food comes and I start cutting up chicken for Amelia. Daddy reaches into the bucket for a peanut and I figure Amelia might have fun exploring the texture and maybe feeling and hearing the little peanuts inside shake while the chicken cools. Next thing I know he cracks open the shell and puts one of those little peanuts in front of her. !!!!! Not wanting to take it away once she sees it - and she indeed sees it and is excited about it - I break it up a little smaller and hold my breath as she eagerly puts the pieces in her mouth. Daddy says, "That one was about the same size as the one she had while you went to the jeep." (*So the reason she wasn't saying anything while reaching is that she didn't know the word peanut, but she knows she can't just grunt or whine for something.)

Truth be told, I'm not sure when I would have been ready to try whole peanuts with Amelia. I know she doesn't have a peanut allergy because she eats peanut butter, but I am terrified of her choking because she isn't the world's greatest biter and chewer of food when she decides she likes something or is in a hurry. I am glad Daddy gave her the peanuts and that she likes them so much and I feel a little silly for being so overprotective.

As much as I might try to recognize future occasions of needless worry, I know this won't be the last time that Daddy lets her do something I wouldn't have been ready to let her do, something she was ready for and winds up enjoying so much. Hopefully I won't hold her back too much.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chastity said...

Don't worry, I'd have been the same way.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home