Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Stuck

As Daddy said last night, "It's so nice how she can communicate with us now." I am continually amazed by the words she says that I don't remember teaching her or even uttering. What I took as "no mom" was actually her version of "snowman" which she saw on my tea mug a couple of weeks ago. So smart! When I tell her she's smart she immediately says, "And busy!" - which is what her Nana tells her all the time.

She nows says "stuck" which comes out "duck". It really is useful because instead of crying, she'll say "hand duck" or "toe duck" when I don't even realize she's gotten a body part stuck in a shopping cart or a toe under her Sit-n-Spin. Sometimes, she does it for effect. She was playing with her nesting cups and putting her hand into the little ones and saying "hand duck!" and I'd say, "Oh, poor baby!" which makes her laugh.

Many of Amelia's words are clear but several are just close proximities. I felt kind of like a dork when I first realized not everyone is as tuned into Amelia's budding vocabulary as I am so they can't be amazed when she identifies something as "cree!" (green). But she does amaze lots of strangers when she starts accurately identifying letters in a sign at the post office or counting items in the shopping cart at the store.

Daddy still likes to try to get her to perform, which of course she won't do. And while it shows an active imagination, it doesn't necessarily show off her intelligence when we meet neighbors while walking and she points to the propane tank in the yard and yells "pig!". (A couple of months ago she started saying "pig!" when we passed this one yard and I couldn't figure out if she was saying pig or pink, and I definitely couldn't figure out what she was seeing since I saw no pink flowers are little pig yard ornaments. Then at her friend's house she ran up to their propane tank proclaiming "pig! pig! pig!". I thought it was cute, so I haven't corrected her. She'll be 8 and still think those things are some kind of pig I guess.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home