Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Monday, September 06, 2010

Poultry

Every Friday Amelia brings home her Poetry Songbook which is a white binder that holds the songs and/or poetry that her class did that week. It started with two sheets and each week there are two more. We go over it on the weekends and it's a lot of fun to see her go through them for us. Saturday we took it to Nana's and Amelia kept talking about it and it sounded to me like she kept saying it was her Poultry Songbook so I explained to her the difference between the words, trying to get her to emphasize the short 'e' in poetry. I also wrote both words out so she could see their similarities and differences and explained to her that poultry meant chickens. (I didn't want to get into turkey, etc. since I wasn't really sure how many other birds are considered poultry and she's the kind of kid that would ask.)

Last night after her piano lesson Amelia said she wanted a snack and I told her we could have one when she got home. She asked for peaches and watermelon, neither of which we have at home so I asked her if she wanted oranges and blueberries or did she want to go to the store? She said she wanted to go to the store so we did. She added bananas and canteloupe to our stash of fruit and then we headed over to the yogurt section real quick before checking out. Suddenly Amelia says, "Look, Mommy! It's a poultry sign!" I was like, "HuH?" I looked around but I didn't see anything and told her so. She said, "Look, it's right there! It says poultry!" So I looked again and sure enough, way up high on what I think is called a bulkhead was a sign for poultry. That girl doesn't miss a thing! So we walked over and I showed her a package of chicken and pointed out where it says chicken. She agreed and said, "Yes! It says chicken breast!" I am not ready for that conversation so I just agreed and we went onto yogurt.

Amelia did such a nice job drawing a tree and person and house on the front of her binder. She even used different colors including brown on the face which reminded me of a story she told me one day. She was talking about coloring at school and said, "So I used brown because some people have brown skin." She was very matter of fact about it which I thought was great. I have never pointed out that some people have different skin or hair than she does because I want her to come up with her own conclusions about people and not pre-judge anyone just because they look different from her. The other thing about her drawing was how she pointed out to me that it was raining. I noticed all the vertical blue slashes but I had assumed they were just Amelia keeping busy and doing a little extra decoration once she was done. I love her imagination!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home