Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

First Nail Polish

I've been hesitant to put nail polish on Amelia because of all the harsh chemicals in there. I figure she's been exposed to so much already - like all that BPA in the rubber duckies she had in her mouth when she was an infant. (I didn't start seeing those articles until she was around 18 months old.)

Amelia has been putting marker on her nails whenever she can get away with it and then the other day she put Play-doh on her fingernails and proudly announced, "Look Mommy! I have blue play-doh nail polish!"

I've investigated "safe" nail polish and it's pretty expensive to buy on-line. I decided to check out our local health food store and found some that is supposedly safe but still has a scary sounding ingredient. We looked at all the colors and she decided she wanted pink. I told her she couldn't put her fingers in her mouth if we put it on and she promised she wouldn't.

It was a pretty day outside Saturday so when we got home we stayed out on the front porch and did her nails. She was so proud! (Can't you tell?) It's been a couple of days and some of it has already worn off. Since it's water-based and she has NOT broken her habit of putting her fingers in her mouth, there is noticeably less on her right thumb and index finger. That was one of my concerns about the toxins. I told her we wouldn't be able to put it on again unless she stops putting her fingers in her mouth. All she cared about was that I didn't take it off before today so she could show all her friends in pre-school.

[pictures dated 5/8/10]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home