Amelia

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

This blog captures my thoughts and observations of Amelia since there are so many wonderful things I want to just bottle and enjoy. Time doesn't stop and while I will have memories, it will be nice for both her and me to have these in-the-moment snapshots of her life.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

No More Tubby, No More Bottles

The two subjects of this post aren't related.

We lost Tubby Smith this week, "we" meaning Kentucky fans. It's sad. To me, it seems that his accepting the post he did says two things: (1) he was not appreciated at KY and is saying, "Forget this, I'll go where I'm appreciated," and (2) he wants to just coach because he enjoys it and go where he can do it without the pressure of being in Pitino's flashy, charismatic shadow at KY. I'll miss Tubby. I really liked him.

In other basketball news, guess what I have in common with the UNC mascot - besides having attended UNC? We've both been treated at Hackensack Medical Center, although he's still being treated after being hit by a car yesterday while crossing traffic on foot in Ft. Lee. I hope he's going to be okay. (I didn't actually stay overnight - just got stitched up after a harrowing swingset accident. Afterwards, we stopped for hot dogs and the owner of the place gave me a horseshoe saying he'd give me one each time I came back and once I had four, he'd give me the horse to go with them. I was horrified as I automatically thought my mother - who was sitting there - would kill me, after all, where would we put a horse?!? Fortunately, we never went back there nor was there any mention made of returning, so after a while I figured I was safe.)

As for no more bottles ... Amelia now only uses sippy cups! I've been trying to give her the Avent sippy cups with milk in them for some time, leaving the Playtex ones for juice and the Nuby for water. I wasn't sure if it was the cup or the milk, but she wouldn't really drink much. Since she was turning 18 months this past week I figured it was time and sure enough, she's done great with the milk sippy this week, so I bagged up all her bottles (except the Avent ones that go with the sippy tops), nipples, caps, etc. She found them before I had a chance to put them in the basement and it was fun watching her discover each piece that was in the bag. Now they're safely stored in the basement, and unless we have some kind of relapse due to an illness or something, we're done. Wow.

Unfortunately, the experiment of reintroducing cow's milk didn't work. It's just as well after reading some information my sister-in-law sent me last night on rBST hormones in some brands of milk. Amelia's been on goat's milk after having truly horrible poops once I started giving her just a couple of ounces of milk in her cereal. She does fine with cheese, ice cream and yogurt, but there's just something about milk. I ran out of goat's milk after her morning cereal yesterday and when I dropped her off at daycare I told "Nanny" that it was a good excuse to try a little cow's milk again. Well, she sucked it down like it was the best thing ever ... only to have another terrible poop today. So, we'll wait a few more months and continue on the goat's milk. Not a big deal - I'd be buying special milk for her either way since Daddy doesn't use whole milk anyway.
[pictures dated 1/13/07 and 3/20/07]

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary in St. Paul said...

When did Amelia get all those teeth? I love all the pictures!!!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Ryan'smommy said...

I have a hard time with those avent cups too. I wonder...

I can't believe how big she is getting. We can't wait for our next playdate!

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home